Prospects and Projects
When CHBPT was incorporated as a company on 31st March 1981 it was unusual in that no specific property had been identified as the first project. This proved to be an advantage because the management committee was able to examine several potential buildings with thoroughness and objectivity. Members had time to compare and contrast the scale of work required, the purchase price, loan requirements and the likely re-sale value before being plunged into a complex restoration scheme. Indeed, the very existence of the Trust proved to be a great stimulus for existing owners to restore their buildings in Egerton Street, Bunce Street, Lower Bridge Street and Castle Street.
By 1983, attention was turning to the plight of some of the most neglected historic buildings in Chester’s rural district. Church House, Tarvin was one such property; the oldest surviving building in the village, but empty, derelict and in danger of toppling into the street. It was purchased by Chester City Council and, in 1985, passed to CHBPT for restoration. Work was undertaken by specialists in timber-frame construction and Church House was eventually sold in 1991 as a very fine private dwelling.
Well before the sale of Church House, members of the Trust were looking for their next project. The Civil War ‘Field Hospital’ at Rowton was considered, as were several cottages, redundant chapels, farm buildings and even a windmill. Ince Manor, near Elton, then emerged as a particularly worthy cause Grade 1 listed, Scheduled Monument, standing empty and derelict. Feasibility studies were carried out in 1995 but the acquisition process was long and tortuous. Archaeological investigations and ‘enabling works’ were completed in 2000/1.
Church House Tarvin
Click on a photograph to see an enlargement.
Ince Manor Grange
Ince Manor is a Grade 1 listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
After years of protracted negotiations, the Chester Historic Buildings Preservation Trust (CHBPT) has taken responsibility for the restoration of Ince Manor. Funding has been secured from English Heritage Lottery Fund supported by a loan from the Architectural Heritage Fund. When restoration is complete the Manor will be sold, together with the adjoining cottages.
There is documentary evidence of the landholding at Ince in the Domesday Book of 1086 which records that “The Church itself held and holds Ince” and “there is land for five ploughs”. Ince Manor dates from at least the thirteenth century when it was the home of a monastic community attached to St Werburgh’s Abbey in Chester. Among the notable visitors to the Manor was Edward I who was entertained by the monks for two nights in 1277. The royal visit marked the height of the Manor’s success – by 1943 most of the lands were farmed or leased out to local people. Its role, as a monastic grange – a ‘farming output’ of the Abbey at Chester – was to provide food and raw materials and to sell any surplus for profit. It remained in Church ownership until Henry VIII’s death in 1547 when it was given to Sir Richard Cotton. Since then it has been passed through various local families.
The surviving buildings comprise the Great Hall and Monastery Cottages, both of which still stand to roof height. The Hall was partly destroyed by fire in 1895 and the cottages have been roofless and derelict for many years, protected by their relative isolation and overgrowth.
In recent years the buildings were purchased by Gerry Fairclough, a village carpenter who set-up a workshop and removed the cottage roofs, hoping to restore the buildings. He died in 1992 and left the property to a village shopkeeper, Dorothy Vaughan, but she died soon afterwards – before negotiations for the purchase by the Trust could be completed. In 1996 Cheshire County Council commissioned a study and Ellesmere Port & Neston Borough Council carried out safety work which included the removal of the slates from the Great Hall and the installation of a temporary roof. The buildings and site were purchased in 1998 by Cheshire County Council, on behalf of the Trust, which is now the new owner.
A preliminary contract was let in 2000, in order that an accurate assessment of the structure and the restoration work required could be made by the design team. Re-usable stone from the site was retrieved and stone from the cottage gable taken down and stored. A security fence was erected and the central garden area laid as a flat lawn. Archaeologists excavated the Hall floor and made several trial pit excavations. Their investigations did not reveal anything of exceptional interest but some good stonework at the plinth of the building was exposed, together with a vertical rockface adjacent to the Hall.
The restoration works commenced in July 2002 and are due to be completed in March 2003. The existing sandstone walls will be carefully repaired and reinforced with new stone. Lost stone walls will be rebuilt and window openings will be repaired and new glazing added. The remains of the earlier cottage roof structure will be incorporated in the new work which will include a new roof structure to the Hall and new lead and slate roof coverings throughout. In addition, the Victorian brick barn which adjoins the Hall will be overhauled. Internally, the buildings will then be in a suitable state of repair, ready to take on a new life.
The property will, ideally, be sold as a whole but is capable of being sub-divided or sold in separate parts. Enquiries to Denys Doxat-Pratt (CHBPT)
Ince Manor is one of only two remaining examples of standing manorial buildings belonging to an abbey in Cheshire, and there are only five such structures in the north of England. The construction of the surviving buildings presents many archaeological clues to its former development as part of a larger group of buildings. In particular, the trapezoidal plan of the Great Hall confirms that the north wall was built up against an existing building, with the east wall running along the very edge of the red sandstone outcrop or quarry that the building was built from.
The project for the repair, refurbishment and re-use started on site in August in 2002 under the auspices of the Chester Historic Buildings Preservation Trust (CHBPT). The project team includes Donald Insall Associates, Gifford & Partners and Thornton-Firkin, and the contractor is Linford Bridgman of Lichfield.
When work started, the sandstone walls remained to roof height, however, the overall structures were in a ruinous condition, with the roofs missing from the cottages and a temporary corrugated steel roof partially covering the hall, which was last used as a barn.
Within the thickness of the sandstone walls to the hall is the intra mural passageway constructed to provide an uninterrupted link between domestic quarters at the southern end of the development and the first floor level in the former building beyond the north gable. Lit by arrow slits, the passageway, together with the former crenellations supported by the relieving arches to the parapet, provided the buildings with a defensive system from the 14th/early 15th century.
The north gable of the hall has had to be rebuilt entirely in new stone, reinstating the intra mural passageway. The urgency of the repairs to the cottages became apparent as the northwest corner deteriorated dramatically, leaning inches during the period of one day! Each stone was removed, identified and rebuilt exactly as before to sound construction.
A jigsaw of oak trusses, salvaged from site has been carefully pieced together and now forms the new roof structure to the cottages. Floors and purlins have been reinstated in oak to historic proportions, requiring the use of the latest crane technology to carefully manipulate the timber into position once inside the building. New Welsh slate roofs, steel windows and oak doors now weatherproof these former ruins and a sense of place has been reinstated for a new use to evolve. CHBPT chaired by Denys Doxat-Pratt and financially supported by both the Heritage Lottery Fund and Architectural Heritage Fund, has done its stuff – once again rescuing buildings of almost no commercial value but enormous historical significance.
Architects and Historic Buildings Consultants: Donald Insall Associates
Quantity Surveyors: Thornton-Firkin
Structural Engineers: Gifford & Partners
CHBPT is grateful to English Heritage for their advice and support, to Linford Brdigman for their workmanship and to the villagers of Ince for their interest and forebearance
Click here to see Who are we?
Click here to Contact Us